Have you changed your clocks’ time and put it one hour forward?
From today, we will have lighter evenings for 6 months.
Have you heard of the Lighter Later movement? As you’ll be able to see on their site, it’s about shifting Britain’s clocks forward by one hour throughout the year, the sun would rise and set one hour later throughout the year.
The reason for this movement is the potential benefits, which include:
- Cutting at least 447,000 tonnes of CO2 pollution a year;
- Saving 80 lives each year by making the roads safer and saving the NHS millions by preventing accidents and injuries;
- Lowering electricity bills by using more of the available sunlight;
- Making people healthier by giving them more time to exercise in the evening;
- Showing that dealing with climate change is positive for the people, the economy and society.
If you want to Have More Sunshine then simply click and add your voice to the millions of people who want lighter later evenings all year! The debate is ongoing in Parliament so you can really make this change!
The weekend is great for trying new recipes and I am glad to say I have found a great vegan, healthy, low-fat, quick, fluffy, easy aaaand tasty pancake recipe!
Ingredients to make about 8 pancakes:
- 50g Plain flour
- 75g Quick cooking oats
- 2 Tsp Baking powder
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Shredded apple / Handful of raisins
- 1 Tsp ground cinnamon
- 250 ml of water, oat milk or apple juice
- 1-2 Tbsp of sunflower oil for frying (or a few sprays of cooking oil)
- Syrup or non-dairy spread to serve
In a large bowl, mix the flour, oats, baking powder, sugar, vegetable oil, apple / raisins, cinnamon and water / oat milk / apple juice to form a batter.
Use a ladle and place part of the batter on a lightly oiled non-stick pan and cook until browned on one side, flip and cook the other side. Serve with syrup, non-dairy butter for a vegan treat, apple sauce or, if you looooooove chocolate spread like I do, try them with the Fairtrade Dark Chocolate Spread that you can buy from vegan.co.uk.
You can also try different versions of this recipe, for example
- Use 1 tbsp syrup / maple syrup instead of the sugar, and instead of 1 tsp cinnamon use 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 nutmeg and 1/4 ground cardamom;
- Add a small smashed banana and a handful of blueberries instead of the apple / raisins;
- Use whole-wheat or buckwheat flour instead of plain flour.
These pancakes were nice and fluffy, light, satisfying and I even took some to work for a snack with a cup of tea.
How would you like to try these pancakes?